Solution focused brief therapy is a refreshingly straightforward, highly flexible and cooperative approach to counselling. It helps you to take control of your life by establishing how you want things to be and then working towards this end; a process which generates momentum and leaves problems behind.
"Counselling is often about tipping the first domino": Milton Erickson
Solution focused brief therapy is brief because you will be encouraged to notice improvements from our very first contact, immediately creating a focus on things becoming better. By establishing this immediate focus, you can achieve rapid and sustainable changes in your life. Remarkably, this also helps with current and past problems at the same time. Making changes can be as simple as that. This does not mean that it is easy; this approach requires hard work and commitment.
What to expect
- A relaxed space where we can have straightforward, collaborative conversations which concentrate on the future that you want and the first small signs of this happening.
- An accepting, non judging atmosphere in which you will have the opportunity to talk about what is important to you, go at your own pace and come up with your own answers.
- We will look for small changes that you can build on; small changes often have a snowballing effect leading to bigger changes.
- I will not tell you what to do. I believe that you will uncover your own solutions and see my role as helping you to notice what works in your life.
Some features of solution focused brief therapy
- Seeks out your abilities, competences and coping skills.
- Opens up choices.
- Builds on what you already know.
- Concentrates on the differences that you want.
- Builds hope and belief.
- Looks for successes.
Solution focused brief therapy is suitable for anyone (individuals, couples, families )wanting to make changes.
How brief is brief? The average number of sessions is 4, making this excellent value for money. We will start by establishing what you want to achieve. From this, we can estimate how many sessions will be needed and how often we will meet. We will review progress regularly; the whole process is negotiated.
Effectiveness of solution focused brief therapy. Effectiveness data is available from more than 3000 cases with a success rate exceeding 60%; requiring an average of 3 - 5 sessions. (''Solution focused'' is the best keyword for Google searches.) Macdonald A.J.; Solution Focused Therapy (2007) (www.solutionsdoc.co.uk)